Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Layoffs

Well today ended up being the day. When you combine in the layoffs that happened today with the handful of people who took the early retirement package that the organization had been offering, we ended up losing about 10% of our workforce.

I'm feeling really conflicted about the whole thing. Lots of stuff I won't write about online. But I'm feeling a little unsettled. More people in my direct area of the organization were impacted than I had anticipated, which was tough. And more reorganization of the work unit (not layoffs, just changes in structure) are coming shortly. It could turn out to be pretty great if things go in one direction there, pretty crap if they go in another.

For now, I'm going to just keep doing what I do, being the rock star overachiever that my boss knows and loves. I'm grateful to have him on my side because he is an important ally, but gratefulness doesn't pay the bills, you know what I mean?

In any event, fuck it all anyway, because tomorrow Gary comes home from his trip to Rwanda. And that, my friends, is way more important than any work bullshit that might be running through my mind at the moment. Can I get an Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment